Saturday, June 7, 2008

The work/life balance


I'm definately a "work to live" person but sometimes my work takes over the majority of my time. This doesn't mean that I'm constantly at work or in work mode, there are many times when I eventualy get home I'm so tired I don't do much else but eat and go to sleep. Sometimes I get a little resentful when I don't have the time or energy to do the things I enjoy and I guess this could be a source of 'stress' in my life. I remember learning about stress-coping strategies when I studied psychology and I find I use at least three of the different measures that are known. The strategy I think I use the most is turning to social supports whether it is to 'debrief' or to allow some form of disengagement. Having something else in your life whether it's family, trusted friends, sport or a personal project for example, gives us a venue to deal with what we consider to be the 'stressors' of our lives.

So after a hectic week of work, as I sit here writing this on a leisurely Saturday morning, having coffee and chocolate covered almonds for breakfast, with my favourite dvd playing in the background I find the work/life balance starting to tip back where I prefer it. To make things better, it's the start of a long weekend so I'm free to indulge in any number of activities I enjoy: training, fishing, cooking, shopping or just more dvd watching. First up though, another hour of lazing around on the couch and maybe a second coffee!

No comments: