Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Tutor


One of the greatest challenges with my tissu training is having to progress in my own skills without having a tutor around. Being the only tissu performer that I know of in my city (or at least the only one training) I have no one to discuss moves, wraps or drops with. This becomes dangerous when I have moments of doubt up there 8 metres high. It would be great to have someone to yell out to "does this wrap look right?" before I let go and start the tumble to the ground. I've managed to avoid any accidents so far as I always bail out if ever there is doubt. This is where my "tutor" comes in. It's my Sony Handycam. Everytime I go to Melbourne to train I get someone to film the moves and wraps so I have something to review when I get back home. No matter how many times I do the trick with a tutor down there, with time and lack of training I eventually forget exactly what I've learnt. With tissu the wraps have to be exact otherwise you can find yourself completely "uwrapping" and ending awkwardly or on the floor! There was a drop I learnt in January this year that I thought was very simple, however I failed to film the exit of it when I trained it with a tutor. When I attempted this drop a few months later back home the tissu ended up wrapped around my neck and I was suspended two metres above the ground. I definately had the strength to save the move however it ended up resulting in a deep friction burn underneath my arm. The scar is a great visual for my students to remind them the importance of controlling yourself on tissu.

No comments: