Sunday, June 22, 2008

The great outdoors


The novelty of camping wore out for me as a child; we did it so often since there were so many places to go to within an hour or so of Darwin. But every now and then I love going back to the bush for some true R&R. When I camp I do it in style; plenty of great food, entertainment and of course a good stash of quality beer – yes there is such a thing as ‘quality beer’. This weekend I had the chance to either catchup on some work and housework (boring) or take a real break and head out down the track. I had no training lined up so I was pretty much free to have a weekend off. I had an opportunity to go out camping last weekend with my colleagues over on the Islands but I knew if I went I’d be roped into doing most of the heavy work! Not my idea of a leisurely get away.

It was a great weekend, the fire started first time with each attempt, all the food turned out better than expected, the weather was very comfortable and our fellow campers were friendly and considerate. What was interesting was another event that was happening near us in the bush land. We noticed a sign on the way in, ‘Winter Solstice’. We weren’t too sure what it meant exactly but figured it would involve a large gathering of dread-locked, unwashed, hemp loving hippies. At around 4pm we heard the distant sound of hard core techno music. This went on well into the early hours and started up again after about a 2 hour break in the morning. But the strange thing was I’m sure it was the exact same track that played repeatedly over the night. Very weird! We pictured some kind of cult-like moon worshiping ritual taking place. We were really curious and toyed with the idea of ‘accidentally’ stumbling across it whilst we looked for firewood. But after a few beers, a great dinner with a cozy campfire we were too content to even think about doing anything that meant removing ourselves from our campchairs. I think I drove past one of them later the next day. Whatever rituals they had been doing it certainly didn't seem to do him any favours!

No comments: