Sunday, September 28, 2008

One week, one day to go!


I realized today that if all goes well I can start training again next week!, I’m so excited – it’s been so hard to take a break from training for the last few weeks.

Last week I had to travel to Alice Springs for a workshop. I spoke with a friend a few days earlier who suggested I go back to hospital to get the cast adjusted so I could travel. To be honest the cast was so tight my foot and toes would swell up after about 20 minutes of having it hanging down and the thought of a 2 hour flight plus cabin pressure made me worry. At the hospital the plaster technician split the cast down both sides and crepe bandaged it closed.

At the airport on Tuesday the check in crew said it was good that I had it done as they might not have let me fly, especially if it was a newer fracture. They were going to insist on making me use a wheelchair and even pulled one out for me. But I insisted on using my crutches. I had an assistant stand by me when I used the stairs to get down to the tarmac and then up to the plane. I even had a buggy ride to get to the plane. The crew, included the pilot who was watching, commented that they were impressed at my stair climbing technique – hopefully they can suggest this to their other passengers who need to use crutches. Unfortunately my request when making the booking to get a front row seat was not considered when it came to checking in. Apparently they are reserved for their ‘frequent flyers’ so I was put somewhere in the middle. The flight crew found me a spare seat though so I was able to put my foot up in the end. They were so helpful offering me pillows, blankets, drinks etc. As I was cruising back to Darwin Airport in the buggy one of the passengers we passed commented maybe he should ‘get himself one of those (my cast)’ so that he could get the special treatment too!

No comments: